COVID-19 has made a lot of us work from home. Work from home is going to be the new normal for at least the next two years. While we were caught unprepared for it, its time to get used to it and have a dedicated workspace in our home. Studies have shown that having a dedicated workspace leads to increased productivity. Your home office is a place that should inspire the flow of creativity and allow you to get down to business. But often, that’s not the case. Home offices can be the most neglected spaces in our homes—messy and unfriendly environments for inspiration, driving us to work anywhere but in the actual office, like the couch, or kitchen, or bed. We have tried to jot down the essentials :
- Set up your home office where there are fewer disturbances. Try to set your desk in a place where you get ample natural light. Natural light is good for your health and helps you stay focussed for a longer time. If your work involves video conferencing, keep in mind that accent light falls in your face so that your face is visible in the video.
- Set your desk near the electric switchboard, so that you don’t have to keep changing places when your laptop battery goes down.
- Go for a chick look. Get rid of all the clutter in your workspace. It causes distractions during your work time. Buy some storage boxes to keep your office stationery and other essentials.
- Get the essentials like pen stands, notebooks, paper bins, etc.
- If you can afford, get an adjustable desk from Ikea that you can use while standing also. When it comes to chairs, don’t compromise and get an ergonomically designed chair. Your health is very important.
- Add green. Get some life into your space so that you get to breathe some fresh air. Try having desktop planters in your office.
- Show your personality by adding a few DIY stuff.
- If you are having difficulty finding a separate room, get a curtain behind your chair so that it can be dropped down during video conferences. You can also create a partition as shown below by TUGHARNESS.
- Optimize your space so that everything is accessible to you.